Thursday, April 26, 2012

I Know All is Well


From Pastor Sandy Niiler:

As I write this post, it is almost a year to the day since the April 27, 2011 tornadoes.  This past Wednesday, April 25, Pastor Don [Strandlund] and I stood in front of Bo’s new barbershop and the new Busy Bee Cafe.  As many know, that business area was destroyed by the tornadoes and has since been rebuilt and looks great!  We stood with others, waiting to greet and meet Governor Bentley.  The Governor has been busy touring Alabama towns and cities hit by last year’s deadly tornadoes.  Governor Bentley arrived in front of the café around 3:20 p.m. and was personally greeted by Colonel Cullman, the Mayor, and of course Bo, owner of the barbershop. 

As Governor Bentley stood in front of the rebuilt business district, he shared how he visited Cullman immediately following the tornadoes.  And now almost a year later Governor Bentley shared how pleased he was that Cullman was rebuilding and moving forward.  It was a nice talk, and a ribbon cutting ceremony followed the greetings and well wishes.  Governor Bentley then mingled and talked with those gathered.

I got to meet the Governor.  I pointed over to where our church used to stand.  Pastor Don handed me a copy of our architectural plans.  As I was about to share our plans, I began to tear up and could not talk.  Governor Bentley kept his arm around me and spoke for me.  Those who were standing nearby got quiet.  I guess the reality of sadness mixing with the joy of rebuilding came out.  Before I attended this event, I prayed for God to be with me and to show me what to do and say.  Little did I know that I would tear up.  Perhaps a few tears remind us that we are grateful for what we have, and that we are grateful for each other.  

I must add that several people came up afterwards and shared kind words.   As I left the event, I sighed and shook my head.  I said to myself, “Well, I guess the Governor will remember our church now.”  But more importantly, I know God loves and remembers our church, and we won’t take this for granted.  I know all is well.  

 (Photos courtesy Rev. Don Strandlund)

No comments:

Post a Comment